THE SCOTTISH SIBERIAN HUSKY CLUB
GENERAL CODE OF ETHICS
All members of the Scottish Siberian Husky Club undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics.
1. Will properly house, feed, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon who performs an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, and or who carries out a caepay for papers written my writing papersarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3. Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will agree not to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9. Will clean up after their dogs in public places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectation of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11. Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12. Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree, in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers, or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog).
14.Â Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs nor mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15.Â Members will agree to accept full responsibility for the puppies they breed, taking back and providing for any dog of their breeding which requires rehoming until such a suitable home is found.
16.Â Members will advise prospective new Siberian Husky owners of the advantages AND disadvantages of owning the breed and encourage the novice owner to train and work their dog in harness in order that the dual purpose aspect of the Siberian Husky as a working dog is maintained.
17. Members will agree to have any Siberian Husky which they breed from screened for all hereditary defects including Hip Dysplasia, prior to breeding, (In all matings the Club advises not more that 20 for the combined scores of sire and dam, with no more that 14 from any one parent.) and will not breed from any stock that is affected by Hereditary Cataracts, PRA or predisposed to/or affected by Primary Glaucoma, and will ensure that the puppies bred by themselves will be successfully tested before they are bred from. Maybe it will assist you. The club advise that eyes be tested within fifteen months prior to the mating and Stud Dog owners must ensure their dogs are only used on similarly tested stock. Should any other known hereditary problems manifest in their bloodlines, they will honestly convey the fact in order that it is not unknowingly perpetuated in the Breed.
18. Members will agree to objectively assess the conformation and pedigrees of the prospective sire and dam, keeping the Breed Standard in mind, and take into account any known hereditary of genetic defects.Â Should a Stud Service be refused as not being in the best interest of the Breed, the owner of the bitch will be given a full explanation of the decision.
19. Members must not breed from any bitch under the age of two years, nor will any bitch be bred from on consecutive seasons, or within a 12 month period. Members must not offer dogs for Stud Service prior to the age of eighteen months. Members must not breed with any Siberian Husky which has not had KC Registration Endorsement (b) Progeny not eligible for Registration removed by the Breeder or Kennel Club prior to the mating.
20. Members shall endeavour to help and befriend novice owners, exhibitors and breeders and, in all Siberian Husky activities, remember that good sportsmanship prevails.
21. The Committee will monitor Members breeding practices and will actively discourage the breeding of Siberian Huskies purely for profit.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or reporting to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.
KC/GJ September 2008
KC Approved 7th January 2009